First thing what you will see are different types of bets. For complete newcomers, we have prepared a list of all basic bets that can be found on the roulette table.
Basic roulette bets
- Straight up – Bet on a single number. Win possible 35: 1.
- Split – Bet on any two neighbouring numbers. Possible Win 17: 1.
- Street – Bet on three neighbouring numbers. Possible Win 11: 1.
- Corner – Bet on four neighbouring numbers. Possible Win 8: 1.
- Line bet – Bet on two lines (“street”) Possible 5: 1 win.
- Dozens – Bet on “First 12”, “Second 12”, or “Third 12” Possible 2: 1 win.
- Column – Bet on a column of 12 numbers. Possible 2: 1 win.
- High / Low – “1 to 18” (low numbers) or “19 to 36” (high numbers). Possible 1: 1 win.
- Red / Black – Bet exclusively on the colour to be drawn. Possible 1: 1 win.
- Odd / Even – Bet exclusively on whether the winning number is even or odd. Possible 1: 1 win.
Bets can be combined with each other to cover any part of the playing field. It is, of course, possible to make bets on the whole board. These bets are nonetheless profitable, and the win in the best case will cover the loss from non-winning chips. The most popular bets are so-called even bets (colour, even x odd, high x low) with almost 50% chance of success. House edge is, however, the same for almost all bets.
Types of roulette
In the gambling world, we distinguish 2 types of roulette.
There are 38 fields on the American Roulette. Numbers are ranched from 1 to 36, 0 and 00. Bets are the same as other roulette types, except there is one special bet, where you can bet on 5 numbers. House edge is 5.26% for this variant. The five-number special bet has a house edge of up to 7.89%. The American Roulette is therefore quite unfavourable to the player.
Unlike its US version, the European roulette has only 37 fields. To be specific, there are numbers from 1 to 36 and 0 on game board. The house edge also drops with fewer numbers and its set up to 2.7%. So every time you visit a casino, no matter if online or land-based, look for European roulette first.
On the very rare occasions you can encounter a European roulette which offers two very special rules:
- En Prison
- At Partage
The two rules are basically pretty similar and they say that if a player place an even bet and the number is 0, half of the bet is returned to him (La Partage) or half of the bet remains in the next round (En Prison). These two rules are, however, very unusual nowadays and can be found almost exclusively in French casinos.