Jun 16, 2017

The top 10 most famous roulette betting systems

author Peter Sommer

Since of the roulette invention, players have been trying to figure out how to beat the roulette. They usually try to do so with the so-called roulette betting systems, from which they got promised that using particular betting patterns will reduce the advantage of the casino. Unsuccessful to this date.

In the beginning, it has to be said that many players have won at the roulette. In almost all cases, however, these were scams that required a relatively sophisticated technical solution. In the rest of the cases, there was a mistake on the part of the manufacturer.

A lot of people then try to beat the roulette using betting systems. In today's article, we will look at the 10 most famous roulette betting systems, which you can find on the internet or anywhere else.

Types of roulette betting systems

The number of roulette systems and betting strategies is stunning. In order to get some orientation on this issue, we have prepared a list of the ten most popular, which we can divide into the following three categories.

Progressive roulette betting systems

Most of these systems have been known for several decades. They are characterized by the fact that every additional bet depends on the result of the previous game. It is also common to increase/decrease a bet after a win/lose.

Betting areas

Some of these betting systems include the neighbouring parts of the roulette wheel, so it is not a necessity to a roulette ball land on the exact number. All that matters to the winning number is the part of the wagered area. These betting systems you can easily try for free when you decided to play roulette online.

Betting systems based on prediction

Here are two popular systems: one is based on mistakes of a device and the second relies on mistakes made by the dealer. Roulette betting systems for imperfect roulette are based on the theory that some roulettes have mechanical defects that which causes that some numbers or areas are winning more often.

Dealer-based betting systems depend on the fact that some dealers throw a ball at a certain rhythm, and when they spin the wheel, they drop the ball, knowingly or unconsciously, at a specific location. This property is called a dealer signature, and systems describe how to find, read, and then use those symbols.

So let's introduce the most popular roulette betting systems.

System number 1: Martingale

This system really remembers a lot. In fact, it is probably the oldest roulette betting system that has been formulated to beat the casino. It is also the most used system for beginners who are betting on bets such as red/black, even/odd or small/large.

Martingale is based on multiplied bets after a loss. In other word s In the case of a loss, the next bet is twice as much as the previous one. It is based on the assumption that if you multiply the bet after each loss, as soon as the win comes, you will be plus one unit.

Suppose you bet $ 5 on black. If you lose, your next bet will be $ 10. If the ball lands on red again, then you should bet $ 20. At this point, if you are at $ 15 ($ 5 + $ 10). When you win the third bet, you get $ 20, which will cover your loss. And you'll still be $ 5 in extra.

The magic of Martingale is that winning theoretically must always come. And despite the fact that a series of one colour that lands 6 or 7 consecutive times is not unusual for roulette. You can see it yourself in the table below. In fact, you about 1% chance to encounter 6 consecutive losses in a row. This is what the system vendors are saying (99% chance of winning - this is clear evidence that the system works).

Consecutive wins Probability
1 52 %
2 28 %
3 15 %
4 8 %
5 4 %
6 2 %
7 1 %

But the reality of Martingale is a bit different. You will win more often, but you will lose in the long run. Here's an explanation.

Suppose we say that we will move to the fifth level in the game. For the fifth bet, there is a 96% chance of winning and only 4% for a loss. In 96% of cases, you will win this progression, which will bring you only $ 5. In 32 cycles you will lose an average win of $ 5 x 32 x 96% = $ 154. That's good, huh?

But let's look at how much in the remaining 4% of cases we lose on average. It's a total of $ 155 (fifth grade) x 32 x 4% = $ 198. It's not that good anymore. Even if you have a 96% chance of winning the fifth degree, you will eventually lose $ 154- $ 198 = $ 44. The reason is clear. Your much more frequent winnings do not cover a few, but higher losses.

Let’s suppose we want to give Martingale a chance and we have enough bankroll for it (in the table below). With our betting progression, we start with a $ 5 black bet. Unfortunately, it is not our day and we lose the first spin. Then the second and finally we get to the seventh level. At that point, we are already $ 635 in the minus.

If we win, we will get back $ 635 plus a $ 5 profit. But is it worth to risk so much money because of a poor $ 5 win? In addition, it may happen that the other side of the table says: "Sorry, sir, but the maximum bet is $ 500."

So even if you have a stomach, nerves and enough money to play according to Martingale, the casinos will not let you. And that's exactly why roulette limits are at the roulette tables. At the $ 5 table, it's usually $ 500, so Martingale says you'll end up in the seventh level.

Round Bet Cumulative loss
1 $5 $5
2 $10 $15
3 $20 $35
4 $40 $75
5 $80 $155
6 $160 $315
7 $320 $635
8 $640 $1250

Very often, Martingale is also used for numbers or columns that have not landed for some time. Players watch the game and record the numbers that have landed and, if a column, number or colour has not been seen for a long time, they start betting progress. This is even worst because past results have no effect on the later game. The probability of red falling is in each round of 18/37, regardless of whether it was black before 5 times, 10 times or even 100 times in a row.

The conclusion is clear. Martingale does not work in the long run. The more you bet, the more you lose.

System number 2: Grand Martingale

Not satisfied with only 1 unit profit? That's why you can often see players who use Grand Martingale. This is based on doubling the bet but adding one more unit. For example, if you bet $ 5 to red or black and you lose, the next bet will be $ 15 ($ 10 + $ 5 = $ 15). The table below shows progress progressing to level 5.

Round Bet Cumulative loss
1 $5 $5
2 $15 -$20
3 $35 -$55
4 $75 -$130
5 $155 -$285

After five games you end up with an average win of $ 292 and a loss of $ 368. This results in a loss of $ 76, which is far more than $ 44 for traditional Martingale. More probably no need to say.

System number 3: Labouchere system

This betting system requires pencil and paper (which the casino is very happy to provide free of charge). It starts by selecting any number of consecutive numbers, let's say 1-2-3-4-5 (you can choose any amount of numbers). Each number in a row represents the number of units and the sum of numbers (in our case 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 units) are the expected winnings.

Here's how the Labouchere system works. The first bet is the sum of the first and last number of the series, in our case, it is 6 units (1 + 5). The results can be only two. You can win 6 units or lose them.

If you lose the bet, the bet amount is added to the end of a series of numbers, so our lineup now looks like this: 1-2-3-4-5-6. Another bet is again the sum of the first and last number of the new sequence, which is a total of 7 units.

However, if the first bet wins, the player cuts the first and last number in the row. The new one is the following: X-2-3-4-X and the next bet is 6 units (2 + 4).

As you can see, this system is very simple. After each win, you cut out the first and last number in the row, after you lose the value of your last bet at the end of your row. Your next bet is always the sum of the first and last number.

The objective of this roulette betting system is to remove all numbers from the series. If a player can do this, he wins an amount equal to the sum of all numbers in the series (in our case 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 units). The main argument for this system is a fact that you remove two numbers when you win, but you only add one when you lose. But what they do not tell you is that the number you are adding is higher than the sum of the two removed.

The problem with this system is clear. If there are several losses, the number series will go up and losses will increase. In this case, you don’t hit the table betting limits as fast as with Martingale, but like other roulette betting systems, this is a long-term loss.

System number 4: d'Alembert

This roulette betting system is based on the assumption that if bet A wins more than bet B then bet A is less likely to reappear while bet B is higher. In practice, the system works so that after the win is another bet of one unit lower (the probability of another win is smaller – actually it is not!) and after a loss one unit higher (because the probability of winning is higher – also not!).

Some vendors even have the courage to claim that this system is based on a "law of balance". Roulette has no memory, it doesn’t know if the previous round has been black or red, even or odd, or high or low. The chances of red are always 18 out of 37 or about 48% regardless of whether the red has fallen in the last five, ten or a thousand rounds.

Unless the roulette is not a random one, previous results have no effect on the outcome of the next game. Roulette, ball and numbers have no memory, and each spin is an independent and mostly random phenomenon.

System number 5: Oscar's Grind

This is a very popular roulette betting system based on raising bets after winning. It first appeared in Allan Wilson's classic book, The Casino Gambler's Guide. After losing, you bet the same amount as in the previous game, but after winning, you will increase it by one unit. As the system progresses, the bet also growths. Never, however, bet more than you need to cover previous losses + extra unit as a profit.

Suppose the player bet on red and the results of the last eight games are as follows: L-L-L-W-W-W-L-W. The table below shows how high stakes a player bets (the same bet after a loss and an increased by 1 unit after the win). Note that bets number 6 and 8 are matched so that if they win, you will cover your losses and you will have 1 extra bonus. This will happen in the case of the eighth winning bet.

Round Bet Win/Loss Result
1 1 unit L -1 unit
2 1 unit L -2 units
3 1 unit L -3 units
4 1 unit W -2 units
5 2 units W 0
6 1 unit L -1 unit
7 1 unit W 0
8 1 unit W +1 unit

System number 6: Paroli

This betting system is built on using the winning series. Unlike as the Martingale system, Paroli is based on progression after winning, but it is far more aggressive.

One of the most popular Paroli systems is so-called "Paroli of Three", which includes aggressive progressive betting on even bets (odd/odd, red/black or small/large).

You start by betting one unit and betting it for as long as you lose. Once you win, you double your bet and add one more unit ($ 15 or three units). If it wins, you will double it and add one unit ($ 35 or seven units). When you lose the third bet, you will leave $ 55 as a profit ($ 5 + $ 15 + $ 35) and start a new progression from 1 unit.

But even Paroli has faults. For example, if you have a W-L-W-L series, you won’t have much of a play. Another problem is that you never know when such a series will start or end. In the long run, you will lose 2.7% of all the money you wager, as always.

System number 7: Shotwell System

This system first appeared in 1978 in Gambling Times Magazine. Since then, it has remained very popular as it covers specific numbers that are evenly distributed across the roulette. It's more or less doesn’t matter where the ball ends, you always have a chance to win.

If you bet one of six combo bets and add the four bets on numbers, as you can see in the table below, you should have 10 numbers covered for just 5 units. For example, if you bet one chip on a line bet covering six numbers (1-6) and one chip on numbers 20, 26, 8 and 10, it does not matter where the ball lands. It will never be more than three slots between of your numbers.

[caption id="attachment_3999" align="aligncenter" width="699"]Shotwell roulette betting system Shotwell System[/caption]

But the problem of the Shotwell system is the same as for other combinative betting systems. In the long run, your winnings do not cover losses, so you will be at a loss. It's another fun system, but you'll be in the minus exactly according to the house edge. And also it’s only applicable on American roulette since the European one has a different layout on the cylinder.

Line bet Straight up bet
1 up to 6 20, 26, 8, 10
4 up to 9 13, 14, 15, 10
10 up to 15 16, 17, 18, 28
13 up to 18 11, 12, 27, 28
19 up to 24 1, 2, 4, 26
28 up to 33 00, 22, 24, 35
31 up to 36 0, 00, 29, 30

System number 8: Red System

This betting system tries to exploit the fact that in the third column there are 8 red numbers but only 4 black ones.

With this strategy, you are betting only two bets: $ 5 on the third column and $ 10 on black.

Possible results are as follows:

  • If a red number lands from the third column, you will win $ 10 for your $ 5 bet on the third column and lose $ 10 to black. So you will end up with zero.
  • If the black number lands from the third column, you will win $ 10 for your $ 5 bet on the third column and another $ 10 for a black bet. You will win a total of $ 20.
  • If a black number falls from the first or second column, you lose $ 5 per bet on the third column, but you will win $ 10 for a black bet. Total profit is $ 5.
  • Well, if the result is 0 or red from the first or second column, you will lose both bets and lose a total of $ 15.

When you count all of this, you will find that you lose $ 15 out of every $ 555 bet. And if you divide $ 15 by $ 555 and multiply 100, you get the result of 2.7%, the house edge value. However, this result should not be surprising because every bet on a roulette has house edge worth of just 2.7%. The combination of bets or their insurance does not change the casino's advantage.

System number 9: Betting on an imperfect roulette

The strategy is very simple. If you cannot beat the game using roulette betting systems, you can try to find an imperfect roulette. Sometimes it happens and roulette has a mechanical defect with could cause that some numbers or sectors are falling more often.

But how do you know the roulette is defective? You have to watch it for some time, count the winning numbers and then determine which ones have landed more often if they did at all. The casino knows very well that some players like to watch the winning numbers and so they are trying to make it easier for them and on most roulettes you can also find a light sign that has the last 16 or 20 winning numbers. The strategy, therefore, includes tracking numbers, analysing them and determinate the bets on numbers that are more often repeated.

However, these systems do not work for several reasons. For first, the number that happens in 38 or even 100 games more often may be just a matter of coincidence, but it does not necessarily mean that the roulette is defective.

But how can we really prove that the roulette is defective? We would have to watch at least 4,000 games, which will take a few days. And while you have to make notes manually, most casinos have a technique that can do so much faster and will find out broken roulette far before the players.

And if the casino, in its analysis, finds a roulette defect, or if a player who has been watching a roulette for a long time has won a lot of money, they will immediately exchange it. Yes, in the past a defeated roulette could be defeated, but unfortunately, these times are irretrievably gone.

System number 10: Dealer’s signature

Experienced dealers who have been working in a casino for a long time can deliberately or unconsciously rotate the roulette and throw the ball at the same speed. The fact that one spin resembles the other is called the dealer's signature. Some players believe that this signature can be tracked and the following game looks like this.

Once a player believes the dealer has this signature, he will note the spot where the dealer drops the ball. He also observes how many turns make the ball before it falls into the slips. The player then tries to predict where the ball will hit and bet accordingly.

The key to this roulette betting system is to find a dealer who is easy to read. If you find a pattern, you only have a few seconds to calculate the position that the ball will likely to hit. Even if you check the statistical results of several hundred games of the same dealer, you will not find out if the results are just random or the dealer's signature.

Although most dealers do not have any predictable patterns, some "veterans" probably do exist. But it is very difficult to find them. And what worst can you do with this system? You will blindly bet on the numbers you think will fit.

100% up to €500
Code not required
100% up to €1 000
Code not required
Apolobet casino
100% up to €500
Code not required
0xBet casino
30 free spins no deposit
Code not required
Comments (0)
Add a comment

You have to be logged in to add a comment